Sunday, July 1, 2012

I am recovering

When I was in treatment at Puente De Vida I remember sitting in the milieu making myself a sign to put in the bathroom. After being at PDV for months and months, I felt like I would never get there. There being in recovery with my family, living a "normal" life. I felt that I would always be a PDV, working, struggling, and trying.
Anyway, so I started making my sign. It was to say-
I will recover.
Then one of the nurses came over. This was more than just a nurse, she was such an encourager and she even sat in therapies with us sometimes. She took a long look at my poster and said, "Why don't you write, 'I am recovering.'"

Now, that might feel like a small difference, but to me it was huge.
Recovery wasn't just some dream in the far off future.
It was something I was getting myself RIGHT NOW.

I wasn't just going to recover someday. I was already in the process of doing it!

That was a pivotal moment for me.

For all of you who are continuing to work on your recoveries... remember, it IS happening for you. Every day moment that you say no to your eating disorder, you are recovering.

No comments:

Post a Comment