Saturday, June 30, 2012

Letter to disorder

If you were to write your disorder a letter, what kind of letter would it be? A love letter? A break up letter? One of thanks? Of frustration?
In the beginning, my letters to my eating disorder were pleading.

(First six years with my eating disoder)
Dear Disorder,
   Make me beautiful. Make my life perfect. Keep me safe from pain. I will do anything for you.
      Your faithful servant

(First two months of treatment)
Dear Disorder,
   These people want to make me eat. Come on. Help me and make me perfect. Manipulate these people so they will let me come back to you.
       Your blind servant

(4th month of treatment)
Dear Disorder,
   You're a liar. My life is imperfect and you have never made it perfect. What am I supposed to do now?
        Lost and confused

(Half way through treatment)
Disorder,
  You stole my teenage years. I'm pissed and ready to fight.
     No longer your servant

(9 months through treatment)
Dear Disorder,
   I understand that you were a coping mechanism that I designed to protect myself from feeling things I wasn't ready for. I'm glad that I survived those difficult times, but I'm ready to face the world without you. I never want to use you again and I am strong.
    Me

(Since treatment)
Dear Disorder,
   Occassionally I hear you. When I am sad, or scared, or very angry... your voice begins to whisper. I have to remind you that you're no longer welcome. You are no longer welcome.
    Recovering Me

I encourage you to write a letter to your disorder and accept whatever words come out!

No comments:

Post a Comment